Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Monday Wellness Reflection

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1UsKihVjtmiED1CpwnmNkNjWoY4piPAqKse-z3wJKnO8/edit

I have always wondered why music brings back memories. I was curious as to what parts of the brain functioned when this happened. This is one of the major reasons that I chose this topic. I also wanted to find out the other health benefits of listening to music. The answers to the questions of why we are so eager to dance along to music, why does music increase our physical performance, as well how music can increase productivity all drew me to choose the topic of music and how it affects the human body. These questions all relate to my life, as I listen to music on a daily basis, from when I am exercising, doing homework, or just relaxing at home.

I came across many interesting things while preparing the presentation. I came across many studies relating to the reason why music brings back these deeply ingrained memories. One study showed the different parts of the brain at work and I learned a lot about what these regions of the brain are responsible for. I also came across another video that presented how this type of mental stimulation was beneficial for Alzheimer's patients, another fact I found extremely interesting. I also found it interesting learning just how much music can affect productivity and memorization. In some cases listening to a certain music can increase productivity 30 percent while listening to other types can decrease productivity by the same amount. I found this interesting as I always listen to music while doing work, and that the type of music I listen to can affect my work performance.

My topic is important for health and wellness as music can have many health benefits. Listening to music can help physically when one does exercise as it distracts one from the exercise at hand and can increase physical performance so much as 20 percent. Listening to music can also help one relax and calm down, reducing stress. Music has been deeply ingrained in the human brain. Listening to different music has evolved the brain to where it is now, and as a result music has proven to be an extremely important in human life. It can help us recall even the farthest back of memories as well as help treat mental disorders. These are only a couple of the health benefits of music, however, they prove that listening to music can have a profound impact on one’s life.

On a scale of 1-10 I would rate myself a 9. I would rate myself this for many different reasons. The first being that I practiced my presentation many times. I tried to know the topic at hand and not have to read off note cards during the presentation. I also believe that my presentation had enough energy and liveliness to interest the class and not have them fall asleep. During my presentation I also tried very hard to keep the class interested and end the presentation on time so we did not have any awkward time doing nothing at the end of the presentation. I believe that my presentation went very well and as a result I believe that I would rate myself a 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment